RARA-AVIS: 1960 preface to Ross Macdonald's "The Ferguson Affair"

From: prosperena (prosperena@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Aug 2009

    Following an excerpt of a positive review of Macdonald's books taken from the "Hartford Courant Magazine," and a brief teaser for this "new explosive and fascinating mystery" is a paragraph that begins: "As always with Macdonald, this mystery reads like a novel; his characters are real people, and they live in a society about which the author makes penetrating comments as the story races along."

    ...this mystery reads like a novel...

    Then what were those other guys writing?

    Chandler usually gets the last word: "If people call my book just another mystery I can't help it, but by God I'm not going to do the calling myself."

    Kari Johnson