RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir then, Noir now

From: hardcasecrime (editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 26 Jun 2009

    > Al, what's interesting is this quest for
    > these blockbuster qualities might be what's
    > driving book sales down by putting out so
    > many books that fit the same formulaic mold.
    > I personally think The DaVinci Code had a
    > devastating impact on the industry, even if
    > it sold a hundred gazillion copies, by
    > pushing these editors to want the same sort
    > of "relentlessly commercial" prose that The
    > DaVinci Code was filled with.

    While it's always tempting to bitch about the degraded state of this thing of ours (whichever thing it is one is talking about) and moan about how much better things were in the Good Old Days, let's not forget that it was the selling of a hundred gazillion copies by Mickey Spillane of his first Hammer novel(s) in pb that led to the eruption of copycat paperback publishing in the late '40s and the '50s that we all relish, celebrate, and occasionally pay through the nose to collect. Spillane's prose was certainly not lauded for its extraordinary beauty;
    "relentlessly commercial" is a lot nicer than most of the things people called it. And plenty of what came after was decanted from the same formulaic mold. But good work came out of the impulse to imitate as well. And if not for that impulse, we wouldn't have had Gold Medal.

    Now, tying the whole post-war pb revolution back to just one author is a fallacy -- clearly there was more to it than publishers wanting "the next Spillane" or "the next Hammer." But pretending that publishing today is all soulless copycatting while in the old days it was a high-integrity activity driven by literary quality and moonbeams is just revisionism.

    > Some of the trouble with the industry is that
    > they're looking to have blockbusters as opposed
    > to selling a lot of different stuff in moderate
    > quantities. You can make a profit that way, just
    > like you can make a profit by spending five
    > million (not two hundred) on a movie and making
    > 15%. It's three quarters of a million. But the
    > idea of the blockbuster is everywhere.

    Nobody needs a long, boring lecture from me on the economics of publishing. But a short, boring one never hurts. The up-front costs of putting out a mystery novel, even if you pay a paltry advance, don't pay generously for cover art, etc., are about $10,000. (You can get that down if you don't pay any advance, of course, and use clip art or just text for the cover -- but that's not the way professional publishing works.) Even if you print cheaply, figure on $1 per copy; most books cost more. And if you get distribution into stores (as opposed to selling one copy at a time through your website, or something like that), you have to be prepared to print two or three copies for every one you sell. And figure on only pocketing maybe $4 for each copy you sell (you can keep more if you have a higher cover price, but that'll only be for formats such as trade pb or hardcover that also cost more to print). So, let's imagine you print 10,000 copies and sell 4,000 (a better result than Al's very realistic numbers in an earlier post): Your costs are in the ballpark of $20,000 up front and your revenue is maybe
    $16,000. Let's say you double your cover price and your printing costs
    -- now your costs are $30,000 and your revenues are $32,000. Okay, you've broken even at the "gross profit" level. But you haven't paid your salespeople for getting the book into stores, you haven't paid the rent or phone bill or electricity for your office, you haven't paid for the advance copies you printed and mailed to 100 reviewers across the country, we haven't talked about warehousing or freight...and I haven't mentioned that it takes 60 or 90 or 120 days to get the revenue out of the stores' hands and into your bank account, but you've got to pay your author and artist and typesetter and proofreader and printer well before that.

    So: Can you make money selling a moderate number of copies of a lot of books? Well, it depends on what "moderate" means, of course. But having a lot of titles that sell 4,000 copies and none that sell 40,000
    (forget about 400,000 or 4 million) is a good way to go out of business. And very, very, VERY few of the books we love to discuss on this list sell anywhere near 40,000 copies. Even 4,000 is a stretch for some of them.

    It's hard to imagine that in a world where even a crappy movie can sell 100,000 tickets, most crime novels struggle to sell 10,000 copies...but it's the truth. And it's usually the innovative, mold-breaking, intriguing, award-nominated books that struggle the hardest, while the formulaic DA VINCI CODE clone racks up its 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000
    (more) easily. That's why publishers do it. Because it works.

    Charles

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com>