Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir then, Noir now

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 25 Jun 2009

    I agree Al. It's another example of the movement from an economy based upon mass production to one based upon the segmenting of markets resulting from the rapid release of more and more information in more and more media.

    Technology, in the form of print-on-demand, e-books and other media, reduce production and distribution costs, and some promotional costs too, but the time it takes to write a book, though marginally improved by the computer, is still largely a function of other, more human and idiosyncratic qualities. Nobody as yet, I think, has found a way to round up those hundreds of thousands of digital monkeys to produce more Shakespeare.

    Best, Kerry