RARA-AVIS: Re: Crime Fiction involving children (was horrible nasty)

From: m23to53 (library.john@virgin.net)
Date: 29 Apr 2009

    One recent crime novel - 'Still waters' by Nigel McCrery (of BBC TV 'Silent Witness' fame)- still makes me squeamish when I think about it. Spoiler warning. The basic plot is about a killer bumping off elderly ladies - sometimes confusing the police by pretending to be the victim so the death is not noticed at once. Anyway, the books starts with a group of young children staying with an elderly and batty relative. One young girl causes some minor damage to the relative's roses or something. Anyway, the batty relative punishes her - by cutting her fingers off with gardening shears. To me, over the top and an utterly unpleasant idea in what was a moderately decent crime novel. You can imagine why she hates old ladies.

    John