Re: RARA-AVIS: Crime Fiction involving children

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2009

    Thanks for posting this link, Al. I appreciate it.

    Al and I have discussed this sort of thing in generalities before (two words: "torture porn"). I'll say it again: I don't want to read stuff about children being tortured. The revulsion I feel at the thought of it trumps any considerations of art, literature, or avant-garde pushing of the envelope. The fact that Mina is able to do it, that she's obviously found a market for it is a testament to her ability and to an apparent public hunger for it.

    But I just don't like it (like I don't like romance writing, for that matter), and I don't hunger for it any more than I hunger for more reality TV programming.

    It's not a question of artistic validity. It's a question of preferences. I work with children all day in my day job (I teach middle school). I see more than enough abuse of the ones I know, thank you. I don't need to read fictional renditions of same.

    All the Best-

    Brian

    http://markfisher.theatrescotland.com/Writer/Articles/denisemina.html