RARA-AVIS: Apologies

From: Mark Coggins (mark@markcoggins.com)
Date: 06 Mar 2009

    Guys & Gals,

    I didn't mean to throw gas on the fire with the MFA comments. I mainly meant to relay a funny story Joe told at one of his signings ... and I did feel that the NY Times reviewer wasn't the right person to review a book like SPADE & ARCHER, since he more or less said he doesn't like Hammett's writing.

    I've been in writing groups with a number of MFA graduates--they always have as good or better comments than other folks, and I got a great deal out of the university creative writing classes I took with writers like Tobias Wolff and Ron Hansen. In fact, it was Wolff who first introduced me to Chandler.

    Herewith zipping my lips,

    MC