RARA-AVIS: Re:How to write noir

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Mar 2009

    Tony,

    Re your cresponse to Steve below:

    "I guess we live on different planets then. So you're saying that there IS a connection between a movie like 'Laura' and 'Double Indemnity?'"

    All sorts of connections. First and foremost, the visual style that is the hallmark of film noir.

    Second, the sexual tension in both films. You can argue that DOUBLE INDEMNITY cooks at a higher temperature than LAURA, but that's not the same as saying that LAURA has no sexual tension whatsoever.

    Third, the competition between older man and young, virile handsome man for the same woman (though, I grant you, in DOUBLE INDEMINITY, the older man doesn't know he's in competition).

    Fourth, the . . . oh, hell, never mind. The main thing is that they're both filmed with that kind chiaracuro style that imbues both films with a dark, sinister atmosphere.

    So, they're both film noirs.

    JIM DOHERTY

    Fourth,