Re: RARA-AVIS: Best noir novel (was Red Right Hand)

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sullivan <DJ-Anonyme@...> wrote:

    > I read Nightmare Alley after many raves here from the late, lamented
    miker (who also led me to Thieves Like Us). Blew me away, too. Keep meaning to check out the movie.

    > But I don't think I'd place it as my best noir novel. Don't know if
    I'd stick with this if I really thought about it, but the title that popped into my head was Pop. 1280 by Thompson.

    I would have to name dozens of novels... but a few favorites are The Hot Spot by Charles Williams, Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith, The Girl with the Long Green Heart by Lawrence Block, The Ax by Westlake and several of Jason Starr's novels (hard to pick one). This to be added to classics by Cain, Nathanael West, Thompson, Goodis, Woolrich, etc. I have also become very fond of the noirs of Charlie Huston.

    A real sleeper is Gault's _Death Out of Focus_, not a typical Gault novel or a typical noir. A onyric work (but not bordering on camp, like Townsley Rogers's masterpiece). If you think of Gault as the ultimate non-neurotic writer, read this one...

    Best,

    mrt