RE: RARA-AVIS: Best noir novel (was Red Right Hand)

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 02 Mar 2009

    Normally when it comes to Best this or that, I find myself stymied by a deluge of favorites and unable to choose from among them. However, in the case of best noir novel, it's pretty easy for me: THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. To me, it encapsulates everything a noir novel should have, and has nothing it shouldn't...and it does so in a way that's so organically and stylistically pure that it's like typed art, a timeless American masterpiece.

    It was for many years my favorite novel, period...until I read Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD (which could arguably be called noir...but I'm disinclined to make that argument).

    Ron C.