RARA-AVIS: Re: Bloom and Shakespeare

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2009

    Bloom's assertion that Shakespeare defined the human person for European culture is true to a certain extent but at the same time it might be an example of the Anglo-centrism that was alluded to before. Shakespeare's European contemporaries Miguel de Cervantes and Lope de Vega also dwelt on similar themes and had a comparative impact on Spanish writers and the Spanish-speaking world, also an offshoot of European culture.

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > Mr. T says:
    >
    > >>Consider this: Shakespeare was literally an accident (as we all are).
    > The world would have the same colors without him. You would revere
    > some other writer. Life is not defined by writers... it's not defined
    > by anybody, it just is.<<
    >
    > I'm not sure the world would be the same without Shakespeare. One of
    the few things I agree with Bloom about is that Shakespeare invented/defined the human person -- at least of the European variety
    -- he scooped Freud on that. I wonder if Freud commandeered Shakespeare or merely redefined the human faults and foibles, none of which Shakespeare seems to have missed.

    > Shakespeare's characters are for the most part extreme ... but isn't
    extreme what most go for on rara?

    > Oh, yeah. And Shakespeare didn't write Shakespeare ... some or many
    much more educated persons did.