RARA-AVIS: Re: Goodis...

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2009

    Re Bloom, I was referring to his pushing the Great Books idea. I did not comment on his work as a teacher and critic. One problem is that he is Anglo-Centric. A huge problem. People can survive fine without ever reading a line of Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare, but objectively, what's preordained about it? That idea, a Platonic idea really, that there is some kind of constellation of authors who are above everybody else _and_ therefore mandatory, strikes me as unfounded and unsuitable for picking what to teach students. Great Literature as mandatory laxative doesn't strike me as good classroom policy. Then the kids hang on to their Cliff Notes like crazy... I bet they wouldn't need any Cliff Notes for The Killer Inside Me. It's a much cooler read, a kid can make a good attempt at commenting on it, and it's certainly not remote.

    The Bloom dogma is about badges, about an illusion of class, it is pure snobbery.

    Best,

    mrt