RARA-AVIS: Re: Sales numbers for Brubaker's criminal

From: caroli1975 (karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 12 Dec 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, BaxDeal@... wrote:

    > In a message dated 12/11/08 3:40:58 PM, karabair@... writes:
    >

    > > Brubaker has said that this is his reason for putting exclusive
    > > content in the issues.  I can't say whether it's a good strategy
    or
    > > not but it's a stated reason. The comics direct market is a
    different
    > > animal than book sales.  Many, many people choose to "wait for the
    > > trade" rather than buying single issues; saying "anyone who
    wanted the
    > > issues would have bought them" doesn't reflect the mindset of the
    > > primary market.
    > >

    > that's why I said it was a "secondary market"

    And I'm explaining that many people within the direct market audience consider the trade paperback as a viable 'primary' alternative. And a comic still has to live and die in the direct market. If book publishers start issuing original graphic novels as part of their regular catalog, and compensating writers and artists accordingly the economics will be different. But right now there's an advantage -- or at least writers and artists perceive an advantage -- to higher sales in issue form. Hence the exclusive content.