RARA-AVIS: Re: Vian and America

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2008

    Michaël,

    Re your comment below:

    "The fascination that the French have (had) about the Western genre is very interesting and certainly not reflected in the US to the same degree. I believe that so long as people in the US believe World War II started in 1941 and not in 1939, we’ll never be able to understand each other completely and I wouldn’t want to see a day when we do!!"

    WW2 did not start when Germany invaded Poland in '39 any more than it started when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in '41.

    It started in '37 when the Japanese, mere months after signing the Comintern Pact allying itself with Germany and Italy, thus becoming a de facto member of the Axis, used that agreement as an excuse to launch a full-scale invasion of China at the battle of Marco Polo Bidge outside of Beijing.

    JIM DOHERTY