Re: RARA-AVIS: Paid-off private eyes?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence William Coates
    <coatesl@...> wrote:

    > Seems to me that a detective who takes the money and walks off,
    leaving the murder unsolved, would also be a narrative scandal. If we knew that the detective could pin the murder on someone, but declines to because he or she is corrupt in a corrupt world, or for some other motivation, that might be a satisfying story. Otherwise, I dunno.

    Joe Puma would do it... and I am sure that Ross Thomas could write you a character that does exactly that. We are used to an assumed morality
    (or at least professional ethics) for the PI, but that doesn't mean it's written in stone. Fast Lane is a very good example of subversion in recent PI fiction... it can be done.

    Best,

    mrt