RARA-AVIS: Sales numbers for Brubaker's criminal

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 09 Dec 2008

    The crime/noir comic book Criminal by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips is selling over 16,000 copies each month. Those seem like pretty healthy numbers, not only for a non-superhero comic but for a crime comic book at that. I wonder if its audience is mostly made up of comic book readers or if there's some crossover from regular crime fiction readers. Likewise, does anyone know how these figures compare to the sales of an average crime/noir novel? I wonder how many copies the Criminal trade paperbacks sell.

    http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2008/12/08/marvel-month-to- month-sales-october-2008/ (scroll down)

    -Gonzalo.