Bruen's The Guards (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Four Different Kinds . . .)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 Dec 2008

    Michelle wrote:

    "There's actually a great recurring bit in The Guards where Jack keeps getting letters asking for the return of his state issue jacket. Which he promptly discards. Can't do justice to it, but it's very funny."

    And he's still getting those letters, several books later, even though the coat is seriously the worst for wear. I agree there are plenty of funny bits along the way, but for me, the overall tone in melancholy. A far cry from his hilarious Brant books.

    Mark