RARA-AVIS: Spade & Archer by Joe Gores

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2008

    Today I was handed, much to my slack-jawed astonishment, an advance copy of a book called Spade & Archer by Joe Gores. It is a prequel to Hammett's The Maltese Falcon. The book is remarkably elegant looking for an ARC, with a 1930's style simple gray cover.  It's the only ARC I can recall seeing with french flaps. The back cover is given over entirely to a little essay by Richard Layman describing how the Hammett estate sought out Gores for this project. Well, if anybody could write such a thing, I guess he's the guy.
      Did anybody hear about this book?  This totally blindsided me.
      John Hocking