Re: RARA-AVIS: CORRECTION -- PARIAH is next!

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2008

    Small Crimes was indeed a great read. The Jim Thompson comparisons are inevitable but even though they are flattering, I also believe they are unfair. David Zeltserman has his own voice and the Joe Denton was a very plausible character, in many ways more disturbing than the deranged narrators from The Killer Inside Me or Pop. 1280. While the latter two are patently crazy, Denton is more of a sociopath who albeit having a grasp of reality and the consequences of his actions, in his own mind he still ses himself as a victim of circumstances.

    I just read a nice little review of the novel here:

    http://hub.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080928/THINGS0206/809280618/1142/HUB06

    Coincidentally enough, it discusses one of the other crime novels that rank high as my best reads of 2008: Iain Levison's Dog Eats Dog. I plan on reviewing both for a Spanish website in the next few weeks.

    -Gonzalo B.