Re: RARA-AVIS: CORRECTION -- PARIAH is next!

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2008

    Vicki, Ron, Gonzalo, thanks.

    I'm a big Jim Thompson fan, and spent countless hours studying the structure and style of Hell of a Woman, Savage Night, Swell-Looking Babe, Pop. 1280, After Dark, My Sweet, when I first started getting serious about writing and before starting Fast Lane. Whether I wanted to or not (and I soon didn't want to!) I invited the comparisons for Fast Lane when I wrote a book that was at least partly psychotic noir, with a protagonist as crazy and delusional as Lane--although Lane has far more common with the typical Ross Macdonald villain--someone who'd do anything to avoid having his sins exposed--than Thompson's unapologetic crazies.

    When I wrote Small Crimes I wanted to write something more modern, and something that wouldn't draw comparisons to Thompson. Serpent's Tail has labeled this a noir thriller, and I think given the pacing and structure that's a fair label. It's definitely not psychotic noir--there's nothing oft-center or delusional about my protagonist's thinking. no matter how much he might be rationalizing what he does. I guess anytime you have a book that has a dark feel to it and a protagonist who makes the reader feel uncomfortable it's going to draw comparisons to Thompson, but I don't think this book has anything in common with Thompson. When I was going through the copy edits years after writing it, I was struck more with the thought that it had more in common with Dan Marlowe--at least before he started writing his soft porn Operational books ;)

    My next book, Pariah, won't be out in the UK until Jan., and probably not in the US until June, and I feel pretty confident that that one won't be drawing any comparisons to Thompson. Maybe I'll be finally out of his shadow...

    --Dave www.davezeltserman.com

    http://hub.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080928/THINGS0206/809280618/1142/HUB06