RARA-AVIS: Re: Italo-noir

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 29 Jul 2008

    Sean mentioned:
    > Carlo Lucarelli's 'Almost Blue' is one I would recommend. With its
    obsession with sound and its colourful killer I would say it's the closest I have seen a book come to an Italian 'giallo' (movie, that is).

    I second this nomination. The way the blind Simone's listening is portrayed is fascinating. And, Lucarelli (and his translator) accomplished something that resonates for me because, as a rule, I tend to skim or outright skip the italicized chapters from the killer's point of view and I didn't want to do so with this one.

    There was a City Lights English version of it released a few years back, so it shouldn't be tough to find either.

    Chris