RARA-AVIS: Re: The Dark Knight

From: William (smilliam.wiff@earthlink.net)
Date: 23 Jul 2008

    I was a little dazzled that the "disappearing pencil" trick got past censors in a film that was guaranteed to attract kids (I saw 5-year-olds at my showing).

    I think Batman has always been superhero noir. The character's roots are a mish-mash of gothic novel tropes with a Dick Tracy rogue's gallery. Then the works that redefined him in the 80s-90s (Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, The Animated Series) were all heavily influenced by classic crime fiction and existentialism.

    That's a pretty good noir pedigree if you ask me and Nolan has been very smart at pulling all this together.

    The exploration of the Joker's motives was definitely the most compelling part of the film and Nolan made his world view dominant by giving him that final up-is-down, right-is-wrong levitating soliloquy. It's good that Ledger was such a force in the film because without him the movie is basically a Sharper Image(™) Death Wish 3.

    Hopefully (though I doubt it) Alan Moore got a paycheck because the best Joker moments were all from Killing Joke.