Re: RARA-AVIS: Gibson's recommendations

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jul 2008

    Anything by Alfred Bester I would categorise as ¡hardboiled¢ sci-fi. And his ¡The Demolished Man¢ I would say is pretty noir. In a world where telepaths predict crimes before they happen how do you commit the perfect murder?
      I also have an old copy of a novel by Jack Womack called ¡Ambient¢. Some reviewer on the cover describes him as ¡a sci-fi Chandler¢. Haven¢t read the book yet so I can¢t verify.
      Sean Shapiro

    ----- Original Message ---- From: "DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net" <DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:22:54 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Gibson's recommendations

    In tomorrow's Parade magazine, William Gibson recomends sci-fi books for summer. Several of them seem to overlap crime. Are any of these hardboiled and/or noir? Any good?

    Chabon's Yiddish Policeman's Union has already come up here.

    Halting State by Charles Stross involves a robbery of a virtual bank.

    Cory Doctorow's YA Little Brother looks the most interesting to me, with a high school hacker pitted against the Big Brother of Homeland Security.

    Any opinions?

    Mark

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional