Re: Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: Eric Chambers (nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 13 Jul 2008

    Nathan Cain"
          IndieCrime@gmail.com wrote -

                Does Day of the Locust count as noir? I picked up a copy the other

    day. I've been meaning to read it for years, but I'm having a hard

    time getting through it. It's quite bleak, and I've been reading it a

    little at a time. I read West's Miss Lonelyhearts the other day, and

    that didn't seem very noir to me, but it did remind me very much of

    Flannery O'Connor.

    The book I can't speak for, but  I would definitely nominate the film version of  'Day of the Locust' (starring Donald Sutherland) as Noir. I saw it in a theatre [wide screen] and remember it as a very powerful experience. It would make a good double bill with 'Sunset Boulevard'.

          Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au