RARA-AVIS: Re: Fumetti and such

From: ssshapir ( ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 May 2008

> A guy called Jaakko* posts pieces of Italian fumetti on the Groovy
Age of
> Horror blog. They are mostly on the absurd site, though:

Thanks to everyone for for all the suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Strangely enough it was Groovy Age of Horror that turned me onto this newsgroup in the first place. And also got me back to hardboiled fiction once again. When I was a kid (I'm in my early 30's) I would read Wambaugh, McBain and Robert Bloch. But when I got to university I thought, like a schmuck, that that stuff was strictly `guilty pleasure' material. I know better now. Honest.

And as for Edgar Wallace-I've tried reading his stuff. And while I acknowledge that it's more offbeat that much of what passed for mystery fiction of his time it's a little too old school English mystery for my taste. No offence to anyone for the suggestion, I understand that he had a big influence on giallo filmmakers but it's rather like being recommended Agatha Christie or Conan Doyle
(legitimate recommendations) when you've read Chandler and Hammett and want `something like that'. In other words you're looking for Peter Rabe or Jim Thompson but just don't know it.

I guess the hunt goes on for literary giallo. Nice to see that there are so many of you out there with a varied interest in crime fiction.