RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir involving US chattel slavery

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:
> "The Necessity of His Condition" was most recently in THE AVRAM
> DAVIDSON TREASURY, edited by Grania Davidson, and the excellent
> posthumous collection of his crime fiction is THE INVESTIGATIONS
OF
> AVRAM DAVIDSON edited by Davis and Richard Lupoff

Actually, that's a bit misleading, inasmuch as "Necessity" is in INVESTIGATIONS as well...from the Conento index:

The Investigations of Avram Davidson Avram Davidson (St. Martin's 0- 312-19931-7, Feb '99 [Jan '99], $23.95, 243pp, hc); Collection of 13 mystery stories. Edited by Richard A. Lupoff & Grania Davis, who provide story introductions, with additional comments by Michael Kurland. Foreword by Lupoff. 1 · Foreword: Avram Davidson, My Friend, This Stranger · Richard A. Lupoff · in 13 · The Necessity of His Condition · ss EQMM Apr '57 27 · "Thou Still Unravished Bride" · ss EQMM Oct '58 43 · The Cost of Kent Castwell · ss AHMM Jul '61 55 · The Ikon of Elijah · ss EQMM Dec '56 71 · The Cobblestones of Saratoga Street · ss EQMM Apr '64 83 · Captain Pasharooney · ss The Saint Detective Magazine May '67 97 · The Third Sacred Well of the Temple · ss EQMM May '65 117 · The Lord of Central Park ["Manhattan Nights' Entertainment"] · nv EQMM Oct '70 159 · Murder Is Murder · ss EQMM Jun '73 165 · The Deed of the Deft-Footed Dragon · ss Night Cry Fll '86 173 · A Quiet Room with a View · ss EQMM Aug '64 189 · Mr. Folsom Feels Fine · ss Ellery Queen's Prime Crimes 4, ed. Eleanor Sullivan, Davis, 1986 199 · The Importance of Trifles · na EQMM Jan '69

--"The Lord of Cenral Park" is worth the price and effort of finding the book by itself.

Todd Mason