Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: My So-Called Life

From: Michael S. Chong ( menglish47@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 May 2008

Must delurk...

  I am sorry Patrick but do you even read the posts which you critique?

  Regarding Ellroy, Kevin wrote that "...it's a shame, because the guy is still an original, with a brave and unique voice. That's what drew us all to him in the first place."

  And anyway, tastes are tastes. Ellroy was one of the authors that pulled me into crime fiction, but the Cold Six Thousand...

  In another posting you wrote "Ellroy does not bring a great sense of humor to his work." You should read his story "Gravy Train" about an ex-con hired as caretaker for a bull terrier that has inherited his dead gangster owner's fortune. It's funny as hell.

  Michael

Patrick King < abrasax93@yahoo.com> wrote:
          --- kevinburtonsmith < kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> But I will be interested in seeing the response from
> other list members to Patrick's latest
> set of guidelines as to who can and cannot offer an
> opinion on this list. Evidently only
> "accomplished," non-middle-class people who don't
> avoid crime and violence need
> bother having an opinion.
>
> I notice he didn't mention reading the book as a
> requirement.
******************************************************* As you know perfectly well, Kevin, vitriolic attacks on eminent authors with no bearing on any of their actual writing does not constitute an "opinion." It is in fact the contents of the books I'd be more interested to hear you critique. By all means, tell us all the short comings of AMERICAN TABLOID, WHITE JAZZ, THE BIG NOWHERE, THE COLD SIX THOUSAND, etc. I'll be fascinated to hear how you'd improve them.

Patrick King

__________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

--------------------------------- Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.