RARA-AVIS: Re: Bogie

From: kevinburtonsmith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2008

> Reheated in what sense? Bogart had not played the role before, had he?
> I think he did a superb job, not based on looks but on acting. He was
> a more commanding actor than Powell, I would say.

Reheated in that his Marlowe didn't seem all that different from his Spade. Powell just fits my picture of Marlowe better, a man tough enough to do what he did, but smart enough to laugh at himself -- and able to do a little shuffle without looking like a choreographer.

I LIKE Bogart -- and he did a great job in THE BIG SLEEP as Howard Hawks' Marlowe, but I think Powell was a little closer to Chandler's Marlowe.

That's all.