RARA-AVIS: The Law...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2008

John was talking about jury nullification and Lawrence wrote:

> Yes, I've seen that term used in "Three strikes and you're out"
> cases in California, where a
> jury refused to send someone up for life for a relatively petty
> third crime.
>
> Sorry. A little OT.

Not necessarily. If the law (and law enforcement and the justice system) was perfect and always got their (right) man, most hard-boiled and noir crime fiction wouldn't exist. Isn't the quest for "justice" as opposed to the "law" often the theme, particularly of detective novels?

The falsely accused, the framed, the corrupt, the inept... if they didn't exist, where would we be?

Like, when it comes to sentencing, one ounce of crack = 100 ounces of blow? Yeah, right.

Name an injustice, and someone's written a book about it.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site 10 Years of P.I. Thrills