RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R. Harris"
<brokerharris@...> wrote:

> That would require more ambition than I possess at this point. :) And I
> *like* this group -- I see no need to rival it, but it should not
get stuck
> in what is rapidly becoming the technological past. That was why I
raised
> these points.

I understand where you're coming from, Mark, and I do appreciate your comments. However, it seems to me you're associating the medium with the message, something that applies far less here than it does where there is money involved. The reason for this list's longevity is that it has content, that it's collegial, and also, importantly, that it has proven incorruptible when it comes to opinion. That is a merit of its membership, obviously, not of the format.

If the purpose of this list were to attract as many people as possible in order to sell something, say advertising, you bet the latest medium would be mandatory (in business terms). But it is merely a discussion forum for hardboiled and noir... it's modest but it hasn't done so badly.

Best,

mrt