Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2008

Spelling is a minor issue; the full range of functionalities is a major issue. A key point: the way Yahoo Groups is set up, I can receive all emails; a daily digest; or no emails at all. What I can't do is decide which topics and threads are of interest to me and receive update notices on just those topics. Once you have gotten used to the ability to do that, the lack of ability to do it is frankly somewhat infuriating. Think of all the annoyance that was created by the endless back-and-forth on Altman's The Long Goodbye, which could have been easily resolved if people could decide to subscribe to that thread or not, based on their preference.

Formats move on and improve. The "no frills" approach strikes me as antiquated and very lacking in user-friendliness, and I am scarcely a technological determinist.

Mark

--
Mark R. Harris
2122 W. Russet Court #8