RARA-AVIS: Caldwell

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 06 Feb 2008

I've only read TOBACCO ROAD and I didn't much care for it. I was in my teens, then, and John Ford's movie may've overwhelmed me. I liked the film when I saw it first, but later I've been thinking that Ford's attempts at humour are silly at best, irritating and downright stupid at worst. The Finnish translation of Caldwell's book may also be bad, for all I know.

It's easy to see how Al Guthrie likes Caldwell - his characters could be bastard sons of Caldwell's characters!

Juri