RARA-AVIS: Re:Ed McBain's "Learning to Kill"

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 03 Feb 2008

             --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, harry.lerner@ ... wrote:

                   I just picked up a copy of Ed McBain's posthumus collection of short stories, LEARNING TO KILL (2006). Is this collection considered
 representative of his short story work? Are there any other
 collections of his I should keep an eye out for as I go about my usual
 scouring of second hand bookshops?

If it's short pieces you want you could look out for 'Mc'Bain's Ladies 1' and 'McBain's Ladies 2' which are quite interesting. They don't contain short stories but short excerpts from the 87th Precinct books. As the title suggests, the books highlight his female characters, both regulars in the series and one-offs. He copped criticism for the first volume so he wrote an introduction to the second to defend himself and explain why he published them. It's worth reading for what he has to say about his writing.

--------------------------------- Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.