RARA-AVIS: form/formula

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 28 Jan 2008

John mentioned that many contemporary literary novels don't have form, much less formula. William asked if that was a bad thing. That interchange reminded me of a question I sometimes entertain: What authors are experimenting with form and formula in hardboiled and noir fiction? I don't just mean telling new stories or using new settings
(say, placing part of the action at raves, as Blincoe and others have done), but telling them in new ways. I can only think of a handfull: Manchette (really wish more of his were translated), Sallis, Auster's NY Trilogy, Jack O'Connell., Marc Behm, some Bruen, Aylett (though I'm not really a fan), maybe Will Christopher Baer (only read the first), Maxim Jakubowski's PI novel, and Dave's Fast Lane. Looking back, several of those employ unreliable narrators, not that that's entirely new (see Wade Miller, for instance). Anyway, I'd really appreciate any recommendations in this area.

Mark