Re: RARA-AVIS: andrew vachss

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@...> wrote:
<<Vachss has been mentioned here off and on about twice a year for the last few years...I have always sensed that both the personality and the subjects he covers are not very ³in² Rara-avians at large, whose overall taste is much ³classic² (even when it comes to noir) let¹s say and whose forays outside the &#65533;canons¹ (even into the multitudes of foreign writers) are far and few between...>>

Steve, my impression is just the opposite. Most Raravians I know read all kinds of things, canon be damned. Personally, crime fiction is maybe 10% of what I read.

As to Vacchs, I read his first couple of books and they didn't grab me enough, so I never went back. Also, I found him preachy.

Best,

mrt