Re: RARA-AVIS: A Whiff of Sulphur -- Eureka!

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> William wrote:
>
> "Altman -- or whoever wrote the screenplay -- seems to take that sense
> of the book and pull it into a contemporary setting as if to confirm
> Chandler's fears. The Long Goodbye isn't Chandler's Marlowe. It's the
> Marlowe that would have been had he lived now."
>
> Leigh Brackett, cowriter of The Big Sleep screenplay, wrote it. And she
> says pretty much exactly this in her essay about it, collected in the
> The BIg Book of Noir.

I saw The Long Goodbye last weekend and it seemed splendid, much better than before. I would say it's one of the important American films of the seventies. The cinematography is extraordinary, and magic runs through the film, at least for this viewer. I am not a great fan of the novel, but the film is bound to be a classic, if it isn't already. The seventies was a long time ago, ouch.

Best,

mrt