Re: RARA-AVIS: Burroughs'

From: Ivan Van Laningham ( ivanlan9@gmail.com)
Date: 27 Nov 2007

Hi All-- Terril wrote:
> Ivan, either I did not get my thoughts across clearly (quite possible) or
> you missed the point of the post. I did not mean to imply that YOU were
> "calling Brian onto the mat" or that you, in fact, were responsible for the
> "twisting" of facts. There had been a series of posts from various people
> before yours that I was also referring to.

Oh. Sorry, I misread it. I apologize for my tone; I should have been more careful in my reading.

> However, I don't see how the "printed example" is not an example of what
> everyone seemed to be looking for. And why it's not enough to end an off
> topic debate. If those words had ever been printed on the cover of an
> official version of any of the books, it sounds like a solved mystery to me.
> You found the example. You cracked the case!

;-) Well, actually I didn't; the only reference I found to a Burroughs Mars book as a "Martian Chronicle" was from a bookseller's description, not from an actual image of the cover of _The Gods of Mars_. The seller's description is suspect because that is the only instance to be found on the entire Bookfinder database (which is astonishingly large and comprehensive).

If I could have seen an actual cover image from the 1979 Ballantine PB cover, that would have cracked the case. But the google image search leaves a lot to be desired, so I couldn't relate the cover images to year of publication.

And by the way, I don't think Burroughs is really off topic; as he got older, many of his series grew darker and darker in tone; the Venus series especially had elements of noir. And I'm sure he influenced, in one way or another, many of the greats. Think Chandler read Burroughs? What about Hammett?

Metta, Ivan

--
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works