Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent read: Charles Willeford, Pick Up (SPOILER)

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2007

One year after Brown v Board? Even more so, I would think. Assuming "whiteness" without hearing it from the author is a big no-no (angry? you've fallen into the trap, if so), and similar technique has always been one of the many nifty pinwheels in social satire's bag of performing cats.

----- Original Message ---- From: Stephen D. Rogers < cc_sdr633@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:31:56 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent read: Charles Willeford, Pick Up (SPOILER)

            --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, scatalogic@. .. wrote:

> SPOILER

> I don't know what other Avians think of the final twist, the

revelation that

> Jordan is black - it certainly made me put the book down a little

stunned

> and suddenly view it all in a different light and then, bizarrely

feel a little

> tricked by and annoyed at the author. I guess it's of its time, 1955

I also didn't know how to take the

ending. Could someone who read it

back when it was written respond to

the revelation?