Re: RARA-AVIS: Before the Devil Knoiws You're Dead (was Re: No Country for Old Men [the movie])

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 15 Nov 2007

-----Original Message-----

Uh, er, um, no, I don't mean Kubrick's first film. I mean his movie THE KILLING, which is his third (I believe) feature film. Er, ug, um, but who's counting?

But it doesn't quite
>do the same thing to the audience that MYSTERY TRAIN
>and PULP FICTION do: that is show the ending in the
>middle, then telegraph it from another point of view
>at the end. That was a unique idea of Jarmusch's, used
>very effectively by Tarantino.

You're actually going to split hairs like this and claim Jarmusch invented something structurally with Mystery Train? I guess that's about as acurate as claiming The Killing is Kubrick's first film. Uh, er, ooga booga.

>THE KILLING starts at the end, brings you back through
>the events but it doesn't completely change
>perspective the way the other two movies do.

It doesn't? It doesn't tell the story at different times from different character's points of view? Um, pffft!, okay. So Mystery Train and Pulp Fiction aren't note for note remakes of The Killing? Now I see the light! Crash! Bam! Boom!

Filmmakers have been messing with story telling structure for a very long time. (I only brought up The Killing because it was the first film that my fevered brain could think of that I thought was an obvious influence on Pulp Fiction.) It is highly doubtful that Jarmusch actually invented anything that hadn't been done before. Tarantino may be a great "borrower" of film technique, but his vocabulary runs far deeper than just Jim Jarmusch movies. And he seems to prefer much older and much seedier films. Patrick, do you know if Tarantino has ever listed movies that influenced the structure of PF?

(BTW - I'm totally in agreement with whoever said that QT's biggest influence seems to be Elmore Leonard.)

> While I'm
>sure Kubrick was an influence on both of these
>directors, the technique I'm talking about was not one
>I've seen him use in any of his films. And, ummm, yes,
>I think I've seen them all.

And, umm, er, I'm now sure that you obviously haven't. (But that's only, um, "cough", based on your own statements. Aieeee!)

(Hey, I'm on strike. This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.)