RARA-AVIS: Re: Men's Journal 15 Best Thrillers Ever Written

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2007

Mario:
> Curious that they picked Killshot, not one of Leonard's greatest
> efforts. Had they said Freaky Deaky or The Moonshine War, I would have
> no quarrel.

Killshot was the first EL book I read and I wondered what the big deal was. It was only after I went back to the Detroit novels of the 70s that I got it.

Also, I consider Hard Revolution to be one of the weaker George Pelecanos novels. GP is without a doubt my favorite author and I was looking forward to this one (even anticipating it based on the hints provided in pevious books). This is not to put down HR, but just to say I would put a different GP book on my list of top thrillers.

Of course, lists like this are made to generate controversy, so I would be very much interested to hear which books others would put on there list. My list would have to include books by the usual suspects: Pelecanos, Sallis, Mosely, Lehane, Bruen, Price, etc.