RARA-AVIS: Re: Block's Best Novel

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2007

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@> wrote:
> >
> > Okay, Lawrence Block has had a long career and written a lot of books.
> > I've only read a few, so I want to know what do you consider his best
> > book, and why?

For the most part, when it comes to this list, I try to not post if I can't say something nice so it is with apologies that I say that I have zero interest in the Burglar series and the Hitman series bored me midway throug the second book.

That said, I love the Scudder series and could never pick just one. Some are better than others, yes, but I stil I see them as one long episodic book that never ends.

p.s. If you had to choose a standalone, then Small Town is worth considering. It is very much a post 9/11 novel, so many of the themes it brings up may not register with you as strongly as they hit me when it first came out.