RARA-AVIS: Re: Jim Thompson Tie-Ins

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2007

As I never seem to be able to find anything mentioned on this list on my shelves (and boxes), I was pleasantly surprised to find both IRONSIDE (POPULAR lIBRARY 1967) and THE UNDEFEATED (Popular Library 1969) by Jim Thompson. They were behind a stack of John D. MacDonald novels and under a stack of boxing biographies and autobiographies including books by or about Sugar Ray Robinson, Jack Johnson, Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, and the less well known British Champion Henry Cooper and the and really obscure Australian Johnny Famechon.

If you are really into boxing, Johnny's autobiography FAMMO (Sun Books 1971), which I bought on R&R leave from Vietnam in 1971, is a very good read. His two defenses of the world featherweight championship against the Japanese ex-champion Fighting Harada in 1969 and 1970 were classics. I was a huge boxing fan in those days.

But now that I have found them. I will read and review them to add my opinion to your judgement on whether to buy them or not. The IRONSIDE book gets some kudos, so I will read that first.

Richard Moore