Re: RARA-AVIS: Jim Thompson Tie-Ins

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2007

> Has anyone read the Jim Thompson tie-ins?
> Is his Ironside on par with the other Ironside books
> or does Thompson inject his own personal style into it?
>
> Being a Thompson completist, I'm wondering if it's worth my
> $20-$30 to track down a dog-eared copy
> of "The Undefeated" just to read a movie tie-in?

I'm sorry to hear these are going for so much. Even on eBay you could get them for a couple of bucks a few years ago. I read both of them and enjoyed them, although I wouldn't say that much of his personal style came through. Thompson was one author whose work I really enjoyed, with two exceptions--The Golden Gizmo and Child of Rage, the latter of which was the only one that I remember costing a little more--to add to my disappointment. I think I paid 30 or 40 dollars for a copy. Another author whose entire catalog I read and enjoyed even more was Charles Williams.

Jeff