RARA-AVIS: Re: Lawrence Block - sleaze

From: bobav1 ( rav7@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Date: 06 Nov 2007

Hi guys:

I always loved the modified house names, particularly A.Shole.

Rob and Curt, the best Block (and Westlake) pseudonym guide I know is a Lynn Munroe catalog that's probably at least 10 years old. Lynn's a great guy, he's got a website, you can track him down. The Earl Kemp zine is really interesting, but I haven't read enough. I'm now out of the loop in sleaze paperback collecting, but back before a kid and a mortgage I went wild, and I probably own close to a thousand. The best dealer by far is Chris Eckhoff (who doesn't have a web site). If collectible condition is not a concern, reading copies are affordable. Hell, I should go through my duplicates, maybe we can deal offlist.

To get this on-topic, I'll post something more substantive about Block
(if I find some free time). My contention is that the early Scudder books (the first three) have sleaze roots. 8 Million Ways to Die is where the series finds itself. And the raunchy parts of Small Town show that sex is still a major part of Block's oeuvre. If I use that word, it becomes literature.

Bob V in NJ, who's hotmail name is midnightreader