Re: RARA-AVIS: The definition of classics

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

So what you're saying, William, is that if you write anything other than genre, the work you write in genre cannot be compared to other genre writers? Certainly THE THIRD MAN is as good a noir novel as anyone ever wrote. Are you saying it doesn't count because Fleming, Spillane, Clancy & Cussler are not as talented at writing as Green is? Do thriller writers get a handicap? Green and, yes, Somerset Maugham too, wrote great genre work. How can you dismiss it or remove them from the discussion because they also wrote "serious" stuff?

Patrick King