Re: RARA-AVIS: The definition of classics

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

--- Patrick King < abrasax93@yahoo.com> wrote:

 He wasn't only a
> novelist
> who wrote books with Catholic themes like THE POWER
> AND THE GLORY.

Oh, who said he was? And no, I'm not kidding. You think Clive Cussler has The Power And The Glory lurking in his out box? I don't think so. To boot, there's a big difference between The Human Factor and Dr. No. (BTW, Greene and Fleming worked together in intelligence during the war, or something like that.) As for influence, Somerset Maugham wrote the first modern espionage novel that was critical of intelligence agencies that inspired Graham, who inspired Ambler, ad nauseum. Just because Greene wrote what he identified as entertainments doesn't lessen his other work. Or do you think that Tom Clancy is still working on his The Heart Of The Matter? Or which of those others on the list could write The Quiet American? No, I'm not kidding. Ian Fleming in the same league as Graham Greene? Now that's a joke.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>