Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of literature

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Nov 2007

JIM DOHERTY wrote:

No it's not, because genius isn't the point.

************** Genius is not the point. That's correct. It is an analogy, something that is dissimilar in many respects but similar in at least one. Let me spell out the analogy. If we are considering intelligence in people and point out some as geniuses, there is a parallel between that and considering the enduring qualities of writing and pointing out some as literature. There is your analogy.

Genius is not the point. That's correct. It is an analogy, something that is dissimilar in many respects but similar in at least one. Let me spell out the the similarity for you. If we are considering intelligence in people and define those exhibiting it in a great degree as geniuses, there is a parallel between that and considering the enduring qualities of writing and defining that which exhibits this to the greatest degree as literature. There is your analogy.

Might as well take it on home here. So if I complain that defining enduring writing as literature is dismissive of other writing that doesn't make the grade, then I might as well complain that defining some people as geniuses is dismissive of other people who don't make the cut.

As I stated in another post, if you want me to use the term "classic" instead of "literature" when referring to writing that has shown staying qualities, I'm cool with it. It is the concept which is important, not the term used to refer to it. The concept is that there is writing that has enduring qualities that will become classics, while others will gather dust as mere period pieces.

miker