Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: No new Maltese Falcon movie

From: William Harker ( william_harker@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Nov 2007

As I was commencing research on a proposed book covering the Spade Radio Show copyright infringment trial initiated by Warner Bros. and Knopf against CBS, Hammett and others, I had a chance to exchange e-mails with Helen Borgers and learn a bit more about Hammett's granddaughter's involvement. The trial transcript and defense memoranda are actually pretty interesting once you wade through all the legal material as they cite literally dozens of detective fiction authors and their detectives and the way the copyrights were handled. Of course, eventually CBS and Hammett won (Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal) but the decision has been superceded by several other copyright decisions by the Supreme Court that place in serious doubt whether CBS and Hammett could now win the case.

Richard Moore < moorich@aol.com> wrote: There was a stage adaptation of the Falcon presented in Long Beach a couple of years ago. Here is a link to an article that discusses it and also mentions in passing the musical concept: http://www.gazettes.com/falcon04282005.html

Richard Moore

---

      Recent Activity

      5