RARA-AVIS: Re:Gores - DKA & Hammett

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Oct 2007

Jordan,

Re your question below:

"Is it important to read the DKA novels in order? My local library has 32 Cadillacs as the earliest, and I prefer to know the author's work before buying. How good is his novel Hammett?"

I would read the series, to the degree possible, in order, starting with the short stories, which introduced the characters and which are collected in STAKEOUT ON PAGE STREET, then proceeding through the novels, DEAD SKIP, FINAL NOTICE, GONE - NO FORWARDING, 32 CADILLACS, CONTRACT NULL & VOID, and CONS, SCAMS, AND GRIFTS.

Characters are introduced in earlier stories who play major parts in later ones, characters change over time, deaths occur, etc, etc, etc, and it really enhances your enjoyment if you read them in order.

JIM DOHERTY