Re: RARA-AVIS: Before 1920

From: Edward Pettit ( epetti01@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Oct 2007

miker,

  George Lippard's The Quaker City or the Monks of Monk Hall is a great read. Gothic, lurid, crime-ridden. Technically, it's a "sensational" novel of the 19th century (in fact, it was the all-time bestselling novel in America until Uncle Tom's Cabin). It also falls into the category of "city mysteries" a 19th century genre that featured nefarious (and often gothic) goings on in urban environments. I have a website about Lippard and Quaker City:
  http://www.omnigatherum.com/QuakerCityFront.html

  and just so all this doesn't seem too OT, I'll be talking about Lippard as a proto-noir writer at NoirCon2008 in Philly. Robert Polito will present on New York Lippard and I'll be doing the Philly stuff.
  http://www.noircon.com/

  Ed

  The Bibliothecary, a blog of literary endeavour
  http://bibliothecary.squarespace.com/