Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Before 1920

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Oct 2007

Bob V asked:

Did you ever get around to reading McTeague by Frank Norris? Great characters, whopper ending.

************ Hey. You're making me feel guilty. Haha. I've got it and I've picked it up to start it a couple times but haven't got the job done. I'll try and correct that.

I thought of another important pre-1920 author I left out. Jack London. I'd say he established a very solid connection between American naturalism and the coming of noir. Oh! While we're on that subject, it would be a shame not to mention Stephen Crane. I had read several of his short stories and Maggie quite a while ago. I just recently read Red Badge of Courage.
 I didn't think it was anywhere near as effective as Maggie or most of the stories, either.

miker